D needs to get its shit together!

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 18 14:39:51 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 18 June 2017 at 14:53:57 UTC, Wulfklaue wrote:
> I already concluded from this "discussion" that there is no
> point trying to point out issues with D. Maybe too many people
> in the past pointed out the same stuff and they are tired of it.

In an open-source community, the best way to change something is
to make a start on it yourself and try to get others interested.
Or if you can afford it you can see if Walter or Andrei might be
interested in helping you under a consulting arrangement, or try
to find someone else in the community that you could pay to
change it for you.  If you don't want to do the work, and can't
pay, then you can still try to persuade people - and often
enough, if you are gently persistent and your point is good,
you'll be able to influence things over time.  What doesn't work
is complaining and expecting others to fix your stuff for you.

In theory, when you purchase products and services your supplier
ought to be much more responsive than where you don't pay.  My
experience has been that even when you pay quite a lot - millions
of dollars - one can often be disappointed in just how responsive
a commercial supplier will be.  So increasingly over time for me
I have come to see the merits of open-source, because at least I
can figure out how to change something and find someone who will
help me do the work.

> There are good people in the D community but in some responses
> you get the attitude like "how do you not know something so
> simple". And i am not talking about this topic. There are
> those words but you can read it clearly.

I do not recognise this attitude at all - in fact it's remarkable
how helpful people are, and how some of the best people in the
community spend a great deal of time helping others for free.

>>Perhaps _this_ is the right packaging for D right now, to keep
>>away the kinds of casual users who would not be suited for D.

Yes - it's an advantage for D in its present state of development
that the frictions act as a shield and tend to mean the people
who persist have a high level of technical ability and
resourcefulness, and the people shape the culture.

If you go buy something precious, they don't give you the hard
sell.  They say this X is not for everyone, but if you would like
to understand it, here is what the thing is like.  And I think
it's like that with D - it's not for everyone, but if it were I
wouldn't be here.

> I am not targeting any person here but there are people here
> with good intentions and people who to not realize how there
> everybody has 10+ years in developing C/C++ programs and knows
> every terminology and understands every aspect of the memory
> management and the ins and out.

Personally I programmed intensely in C and assembler from 1983 -
1988 at high school, a little from 1996-1998 and I picked up
programming again in 2014.  So in the beginning I had no idea why
people were so focused on memory because when I learnt to program
memory was pretty fast vs CPU and that changed whilst I was doing
other things.  But I learnt a lot just in a couple of years from
being around here - and it wouldn't have been the case in a
different community.  I don't think it's true that people here
look down on you or that they expect you to understand every
nuance of memory management.  One might feel initially
inadequate, yes, but that's what it's like to learn something
new.  And people may also be a bit short on time - but it's not
their responsibility to spend their free time to teach you.  It's
nice when they do, but it's up to us to teach ourselves using
whatever resources we can find.

> Frankly, sometimes i wish i NEVER discovered the forums because
> seeing some of the discussions and reading the past
> discussions, it feels like a darn pool of evil. Good, bad and
> just ugly. It frankly demotivates...

You must be reading different forums from me.

> And it has now **highly** opinionated my attitude about D, to
> the point that makes me wonder. As a potential employer:
>
> If i hire people with no D knowledge and they need to learn D.
> They go to these forums and get sucked into this.

I'm paying people to work in D, and have done since 2015.  I
personally would never hire someone who would be put off by
robust exchanges or who would lack the resourcefulness and
ability to tolerate discomfort that everything not being
completely shiny (documentation, installation on Windows) would
deter them.

In fact, I would go further and say that D is a good hiring
filter for the very reasons that you find offputting (though you
interpret the meaning of things differently from me).

And I'm in a different business, most likely, and it may be that
at this point the language is a good fit for me and not for some
others - that's okay.  D isn't for everyone, and it doesn't need
to appeal to most people to continue to grow at a stunning pace.
It just needs to appeal a little more to those already on the
fence or for whom D is a solution to their pain.

> What about easy of learning, issues they may run into. It means
> time i need to spend teaching new employees to avoid some of
> the issues mentioned here ( and a lot of past topics that i
> found ). I do not understand because on other language forums
> the discussions are more civilized, there seem to be less
> looking down on people. Maybe i use the Rust argument a bit too
> much but to be good at Rust a good background is extreme
> helpful and yet, i do not notice the same attitude with people
> ask stupid questions or are not happy about something.

Why can't the French be more like the English?  Well, because
they are French.  And it's the same with computer language
communities - they each have their own history and culture, and
it isn't going to change much to wish things were different from
how they are.

BTW where people have been harshest here, I see that much more
amongst people who are natural technical leaders and have strong
opinions on things - that are often thought through and
insightful.  And I think it's mostly just what you expect to see
in a community where people care about technical excellence -
they want to do things right and can't stand to see it done
wrong.  There's going to be a bit more discord if you have people
like that, but it will be generative discord, and it's the only
way you get to excellence.  (Try the kernel mailing list if you
doubt me).  I don't see much harshness from experienced people
towards newcomers, and Walter and Andrei and others are pretty
quick to put a stop to that on very rare occasions when it
happens.

?

> And please, do not quote my text piece by piece, ripping me a
> new one for being inflammatory or whatever. Its how I from MY
> perceptive see things. Just as you, the person reading this
> will have there own opinion.

Sure, but you must expect people to have different perspectives
from you and want to explain why they disagree.

> As for me, i will be looking a bit more into other languages
> and there communities. For a hobby project D is perfectly fine
> but as a future employer my standard is much more ridge.

I'd be interested to see what you find.  If gentleness is
important to you, I do think you will find places that emphasize
that more.  On the other hand if language quality, versatility,
plasticity, readability, productivity are important and it needs
to be native code then I am not so sure.  One only gets to
quality via robust debate, and the nature of electronic
communication means that it unavoidably doesn't always stay
gentle - that's the price one pays for the benefits of this new
form of social organisation.

> I want to hire people first with lower experience ( cheaper )
> and let them learn on the job

Fair enough.  There's a massive difference in productivity of
people - if you can spot the best people then less experienced
ones might not be so expensive and they can learn quickly.  But
hiring people who aren't the best but are cheap is very expensive
in the long run.  I very much doubt very good people will
struggle to learn D, and the doc situation is way better than
when I started myself.

> And well ... lets say that my impression has been a mixed
> experience so far. Especially if this means exposing people
> with maybe scripting language experience to a compile language
> like D.

I think that if one only knows a scripting language and has never
played with electronics and microprocessors then one has a basic
hole in one's knowledge as a programmer.  Remedying that will
take time (and it's harder for many adults than in childhood), no
matter what language you learn next.  But that's a fault of the
education system and the modern intolerance of discomfort, not D.

> Maybe its time to tidy the ship because first impression count
> for a lot.
I think you get the fundamentals right first and worry about
polishing it in time.  Lipstick on a pig - it is still a pig.
And I don't think first impressions in the sense you mean count
that much, particularly if you have relatively low market share.
I mean if people think the language is pretty good but
documentation isn't yet good enough they won't write it off
forever and will be open to taking another look in two or three
years.