Windows integration [was: Re: There really needs to be some moderation]

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 18 14:47:48 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 18 June 2017 at 21:37:13 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On Sunday, 18 June 2017 at 21:06:07 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>> Is it possible to use lld on Windows?  I never tried it myself.
>> https://lld.llvm.org/
>
> Says they don't support debug info (debugger being another
> dependency on VisualStudio).
> But yes, different toolchains (mingw, lld) and cross
> compilation (gdc, ldc) might improve the situation.
> The last gdc cross-compiler supported Windows is from 1/24/16.
> ftp://ftp.gdcproject.org/binaries/4.9.2/x86_64-linux-gnu/
>
> AFAIK clang had quite some Windows support issues as well, so
> maybe we can draw some bits from their solutions.
>
> Part of the problem is that we have very few contributors that
> are using Windows, so there isn't much personal motivation to
> work on that.

I wasn't using Windows but we are now, and there's an author of
one Phobos module that will be starting to help me full-time from
maybe August, so we could look at what could be done if we could
start small.

Windows has been a bit of a pain, but mostly from the native code
library side.  It should be easy to install google snappy right?
On Linux it is.  On Windows, not so much...  And that's just one
library.

I almost never use debuggers myself so might be interesting to
get lld working with ldc (dmd too?) if it's possible as could
simplify our builds a bit.