D needs to get its shit together!

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 18 14:53:35 PDT 2017

On Friday, 16 June 2017 at 14:40:42 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Friday, 16 June 2017 at 13:30:21 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>
>> On the other hand, maybe D is not meant for the kind of user
>> who needs such an easy path.  What does it matter if you set D
>> up really easily and then can't grasp such a sprawling,
>> lower-level language?  Perhaps _this_ is the right packaging
>> for D right now, to keep away the kinds of casual users who
>> would not be suited for D.
>>

> Today I agree with that, but in 1-2 years when mir/lubeck are
> in better shape I'm probably going to disagree. Hoping someone
> packages something together like an Anaconda for D that just
> easily works.

What's missing from Lubeck that you would like to see?

Wrt Anaconda for D - it's the native code (C) libraries that are
the biggest pain point.  Same thing as with Python really.

So I wonder if we could figure out a way to host build
configuration and build itself for the C libraries underlying dub
bindings and wrappers.  It's really a Windows-specific problem,
because even today there doesn't seem to be a great answer.  I
played with chocolatey a bit, but it doesn't always seem to be
that helpful in practice.