There really needs to be some moderation

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 18 15:21:32 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 18 June 2017 at 21:44:11 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/18/2017 2:07 PM, Joakim wrote:
>> I don't see any foul or abusive language in the post bachmeier
>> quoted,
>
> Insulting forum members by telling them to "grow up", "stinks",
> for example, is abusive language. As is the Subject of the post.

Not to me.  In any case, is it now your policy to go around
deleting all such mild infractions?  Good luck with that.

> Professional decorum is expected in this n.g. and on the dlang
> github forums.

I know of no profession that doesn't regularly see much worse.
We should strive to be better, but if some newbies pop off once
in awhile, let's not overreact with deletions and bans.  We all
agree that these two went overboard, where we may disagree is on
whether deletions and bans are warranted.

> For further questions about what constitutes professional
> decorum, I recommend reading "Emily Post" books on manners
> which are readily available.

I would never read such a thing.  I subscribe more to the Linus
school that such books are written by schoolmarms who simply
squeeze the negativity into other possibly more corrosive
behavior:

"Because if you want me to 'act professional,' I can tell you
that I'm not interested. I'm sitting in my home office wearing a
bathrobe. The same way I'm not going to start wearing ties, I'm
*also* not going to buy into the fake politeness, the lying, the
office politics and backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and
the buzzwords. Because THAT is what "acting professionally"
results in: people resort to all kinds of really nasty things
because they are forced to act out their normal urges in
unnatural ways."
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/linus-torvalds-defends-his-right-to-shame-linux-kernel-developers/

That is not to say I'd go around cursing like Linus, and again we
agree these two went overboard, but it's not a big deal and I
don't think it merits anything more than a warning, both here and
in general.

I'll stop responding after this, as I've now made my position
clear, and we don't need to turn this into a big etiquette
discussion. :)