D needs to get its shit together!

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 19 06:36:01 PDT 2017

On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 12:36 +0000, jmh530 via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
>
> I think there is scope for a D version of something like anaconda
> for python. The easier it is to get users up and running, the
> better.

I'd say the Dub repository is this, or at least should be at least the basis
for it. Ceylon has Herd, JVM languages otherwise has Maven Central and
JCenter, C++ now has Conan. However, I think Cargo for Rust is current the
technology leader in mixing a curated central repository. Dub could usefully
be split into two a curated part where stuff gets removed as well as added,
with review and possible rejection before adding, and a free for all section
from which is never lost and can be added to freely. Cargo and Ceylon
effectively have this. The trick is not to actually have a free for all
added bit (a la PyPI) but to allow for DVCS accessed packages.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder     t:+44 20 7585 2200   voip:sip:
russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road   m:+44 7770 465 077   xmpp:russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK  w: www.russel.org.uk skype:russel_winder