Replacing Make for the DMD build

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 19 07:24:26 PDT 2017

On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 13:44 +0000, Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> I replicated the _entirety_ [1] of Phobos's posix.mak (that
> Makefile does a _lot_) with reggae and that never happened, so I
> guess the answer is "vanishingly small".

In the end as long as the D front end, druntime, and phobos get to the LDC
folk so as to create ldc packages for Debian, Fedora, and Homebrew (*), I
don't actually care what sort of pain they have with their workflow. It does
seem though that the barrier has now been raised, it's not just dmd, it all
of dmsd, druntime, phobos and dlang.org as a big bang addition before even
getting to review. I really can't see me doing that. One repository at a
time maybe, but it sounds as though your experience of Reggae and Phobos is
"DMD developers use Make and deal with the pain". Sad.

(*) I've had to switch from MacPorts to Homebrew on my MBP (**), which is
both sad, and interesting.

(**) OSX really is crap compared to Linux/GNOME, how do people stand it?
<rhetorical-question-i-think/>

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder     t:+44 20 7585 2200   voip:sip:
russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road   m:+44 7770 465 077   xmpp:russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK  w: www.russel.org.uk skype:russel_winder