dmd -betterC

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 20 01:37:48 PDT 2017

On 6/20/2017 1:31 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/19/2017 11:28 PM, Mike wrote:
>> As I understand it, this requires some cooperation between the compiler and
>> the linker.
>
> We don't control the linker. We could do a lot if we did, but we don't.

To clarify, I have experience writing and working with linkers. Doing one is a
full time job for a team of one alpha programmer + a couple regular ones. You
might think a linker is easy, and conceptually it is. The trouble comes from all
the undocumented behaviors it is expected to do exhibit. Worse, these
expectations change constantly without warning.

And lastly, we support lots of platforms. Multiply the above by the number of
platforms.

It's not practical for us.