dmd -betterC

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 20 02:21:05 PDT 2017

On 6/20/2017 2:00 AM, ixid wrote:
> How far away from a purely additive, pay for what we use situation are we? It
> would seem like D should be BetterC out of the box, without needing any switches
> and as you add and use specific features and libraries it builds from that.

As long as the compiler supports separate compilation, it has to emit certain
information that may or may not be used by other modules.

For example, the list of imported modules, which is used by the startup code to
determine the order of static construction. The compiler cannot know which of
those will have static constructors and which won't.