What is the state of Microcontroller support in d?

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 20 02:33:52 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 20 June 2017 at 08:52:20 UTC, Wulfklaue wrote:

> @offtopic: How do you see the future comparing D and Rust? Are
> you enjoying Rust?

I'm not enjoying Rust; I just believe it is currently better than
D and has a better future.  As I stated in my previous posts,
Rust does not have the modeling power of D.  D allows you to
program the way you think, Rust requires you to change the way
you think.  However, there are a few RFCs and issues that Rust is
working through that could change that.  I don't see the same
kind of progress and discussion happening in D... except today :-)

That being said, let me offer a counter-opinion that occurred to
me some time ago.  Many embedded systems programmers are not
software engineers; they are electrical engineers that write
code.  A "better C" may be exactly what some of these types would
like; I'm just not one of them.

Mike