What is the state of Microcontroller support in d?

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 20 17:50:35 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 20 June 2017 at 13:45:31 UTC, Mike wrote:

> IMO, to make D a pleasant experience on the ARM Cortex-M
> platform, we'll need to implement the entire druntime including
> threading, GC, exceptions, dynamic arrays, etc... even if those
> features are not used.  This is because D just hasn't been
> designed and implemented in a modular fashion to allow one to
> pay-as-they-go, and as you experienced in one of your other
> posts today, you just get too many undefined references and
> other odd errors that have nothing to do with your code.  The
> only way to make those errors go away is to ensure everything
> in druntime is there.

The more I think about this, the more it seems like the best
approach.  All this time I've been trying to find a way to build
just enough runtime code to support the features I'm using, and
I've only encountered frustration.  It's a shame that we have to
build such a massive amount of infrastructure just to get a
build, only to have the linker strip it all away, but apparently
that's just the way things are.

Forget -betterC and -no-rtti; embrace it all!  We might just be
be able to turn this lemon into lemonade afterall.

I'm having a bit of a change of heart (or maybe there's something
in my coffee).  I'll be traveling overseas for the next month, so
when I return I'll revisit this and see if it still appeals to me.

Mike