dmd -betterC

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 20 20:57:46 PDT 2017

Walter Bright wrote:

> On 6/20/2017 3:07 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 20 June 2017 at 20:50:14 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6901
>> We should generate the default string from the expression for D too. (at
>> a minimum, I'd actually like to see every variable printed out too, but
>> this is already written)
>
> Those strings eat up space and are of pretty marginal utility. Don't want
> to make assert's so bloatsome that people are discouraged from using them.

nope, they aren't. but they are immediately helpful. i integrated such
patch to my dmd ages ago, and i'm not speaking out of nothing -- they *are* helful.

and i can't see how *adding* *useful* *info* to assertion will discourage
people from using 'em.

"bloatsome"? i don't think so. those generated messages is small (usually
20-30 bytes), and nothing comparing to druntime/phobos size.