Go 1.9

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 22 01:17:33 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 22 June 2017 at 07:32:51 UTC, Wulfklaue wrote:
> On Thursday, 22 June 2017 at 07:15:26 UTC, Bienlein wrote:
>> In Java development there is almost no C or C++ and no Rust or
>> D at all. Memory is no problem. Some server needs 256 GB RAM
>> or maybe 512 GB?
>
> That is just sloppy... There is this bad trend in the industry,
> it has been going on for years. Performance issue, trow more
> hardware at the problem. Optimizations? Trow more hardware at
> the issue.
>
> The problem being that it has becomes a constantly lowering
> expectations bar. Hire some basic programmers, use
> php/ruby/python and performance issues are simply overlooked as
> part of the job.
>
> In my daily job seeing php import scripts that suck up a GB
> just for some basic work, is considered almost normal. Let the
> client pay for more performing servers. Our developers need to
> write more code, faster, be ready before the deadline so we can
> bill the client for the fast work.
>
>> That's not an issue anywhere. As long as you get the
>> performance through parallelisation there is no need for C or
>> C++.
>
> And while this works on a local server, the moment you start
> with clusters, master-slave configurations etc, things get
> complicated fast. Especially with latency issues.
>
>> You won't meet any Java EE archtitecture that will do anything
>> else than fight against calling C, C++ routines from Java.
>> That is only done in some very exceptional cases.
>
> That same applies to just about every other language. Native
> will always be prioritized before external calls.
>
>> The days of languages for systems programming are over. There
>> are only very few people that need such a language. That is
>> why D really needs a decent GC, otherwise it won't find any
>> users that would do production systems with it.
>
> Technically, with Go, Rust, Crystal etc more about those high
> performing languages, then before. Before it was all about
> scripting languages, slowly you see a trend backing away from
> them.

Massive relative price shocks can be important in shaping trends
in the use of technology.  Storage prices drop 40% annually,
Moore'a Law isn't what it was, and dram latency isn't improving
nearly as fast as data sets are increasing in size.  Intel non
volatile storage technology upsets all our assumptions about
where the bottlenecks are, and there seems a decent chance that
as you say the tilt away from slow languages is only just
beginning.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Python-so-popular-despite-being-so-slow/answer/Laeeth-Isharc?share=5ebdf91a&srid=35gE

Acam paper linked at the end of this.