Replacing Make for the DMD build

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 22 02:58:12 PDT 2017

On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 14:11 +0000, Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
>
> I'm not the best at documentation. Funnily enough, I made an
> effort with reggae, which might just show how bad I am at this.

Hopefully the era of programmers boasting how crap they are at
documentation is over. Documentation is important to code and to the
uses of code. Some programmers may not be good at writing documentation
in the language required, so get a ghost writer, or at least a sub-
editor.

> There's not much to compare/constrast - dub is a package manager
> that also builds your code, as long as your requirements are
> simple, it doesn't have a DAG. reggae is a build system. You
> wouldn't be able to replace the Makefiles with dub. You _would_
> be able to build phobos, but that's not all the Makefiles do.

Reggae, like CMake and Meson, is a meta-build system, the actual build
is done by Make, Ninja, Tup,… We are currently in the era of meta-build
systems.

Having been directly involved in the Gant → Gradle period of build for
the JVM (*) I can state categorically that any build system not using
some form of DAG will be replaced, and fairly quickly. If Dub doesn't
use a DAG, it has managed to last longer than perhaps it should.

(*) Gradle also does native build, because clients of Gradle Inc
demanded it.
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk