Go 1.9

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 22 03:00:29 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 22 June 2017 at 07:15:26 UTC, Bienlein wrote:
>> I suspect though that like Go took Python more than C folk,
>> Kotlin Native will take more Java that C++, Go and Rust folks.
>> But speculation rarely turn out quite as speculated.
>
> In Java development there is almost no C or C++ and no Rust or
> D at all. Memory is no problem. Some server needs 256 GB RAM or
> maybe 512 GB? That's not an issue anywhere. As long as you get
> the performance through parallelisation there is no need for C
> or C++.
>
> You won't meet any Java EE archtitecture that will do anything
> else than fight against calling C, C++ routines from Java. That
> is only done in some very exceptional cases.

This includes how Android developers see the use of the NDK, and I
quote:

"""
Squeeze extra performance out of a device to achieve low latency
or run computationally intensive applications, such as games or
physics simulations.

Reuse your own or other developers' C or C++ libraries.
"""

https://developer.android.com/ndk/guides/index.html

Anything else is frowned upon and only available to Java,
requiring JNI calls to access the features from C and C++.

They even pivoted Brillo from a being a simplified Android with
C++ Framework, to a simplified Android where even user space
drivers can be written in Java.

https://developer.android.com/things/sdk/drivers/index.html

> The days of languages for systems programming are over. There
> are only very few people that need such a language. That is why
> D really needs a decent GC, otherwise it won't find any users
> that would do production systems with it.

This was quite visible at this year's WWDC, Google IO and BUILD.

They were all about Swift, Java, Kotlin, C#.

There were hardly any meaningful talks with C or C++ content
related to actual software development on their OSes, other than
to share the latest improvements in compiler/IDE tooling and ANSI
C++ compliance.