What is your favorite D feature? [Call for snippets]

Ecstatic Coder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 22 05:29:56 PDT 2017

> Thanks a lot, but I was looking for small snippets (< 10 LoC)
> than could be used to show the awesomeness of D at the roulette
> on https://dlang.org
> Any chance you could make your point a bit conciser? :)

I agree with you, indeed it is much too long for a carousel ;)

And it should be made even simpler.

But I still think that the first and only sample code someone
should read when coming for the first time on the D website
should be this kind of example, which shows how simple and
straightforward the D code looks like.

It's very important to reassure the visitor curious about D on
how easy it is to learn and use D, showing him that D's syntax is
familiar, and the code is very readable and concise.

Some first-time visitors may be meta-programming experts, but
many others (including me) are just looking for a simpler
alternative to existing languages, which allows them to quickly
program their stuff in an easy and efficient way.

And for those looking for a language which allows to program
complicated things in a simpler way, as D indeed allows to do it,
this should also be shown. But I don't think that this should be
the first example someone sees.

That said, I'm not totally against code carousel.

The one on the Python website is very well done.

https://www.python.org/

Its code snippets are very simple on purpose.

Python's landing webpage is very encouraging, and shows that this
scripting language can be picked up quickly.