dlang website design

ag0aep6g via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 22 22:38:48 PDT 2017

On 06/23/2017 07:13 AM, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>> I think you'll have to elaborate on that. How is python.org
>> "obviously" targeted at inexperienced programmers and dlang.org isn't?
>> The home pages look rather similar to me: menu, search box, code
>> sample, sales pitch, those text boxes with icons, etc.
>>
>> What would you change on dlang.org? Completely overhaul everything, or
>> just adjust the wording and other details to be more targeted at
>> newbie programmers?
>
> First, please notice how simple the landing page is.

python.org's home page looks about as crowded to me as dlang.org's. How
is it significantly more simple?

> Its nice visual design exhibits simplicity, and obvioulsy uses a few
> text as possible to convey the message.

So you'd like to make dlang.org prettier and less wordy?

> I've recently studied web development for two years, and believe me,
> while not perfect, this landing page clearly matches many of the
> requirements we were taught.

Aside: Whenever someone says "believe me" that's a sign for me to be
skeptical towards their claims.

How does dlang.org's home page not match the requirements you were taught?

My questions are not rhetorical. I'm trying to find out where you see
problems and how you'd like to see them fixed.

[...]
> And look at the code snippets on the five slides of the carousel.
[...]
> These code snippets are very very simple !!! Almost baby code ;)
>
> It seems pretty obvious to me that Python's code carousel targets
> beginner programmers, showing them simple code that they will easily
> understand.

So you'd like to see simpler code samples on dlang.org?

[...]
> And I don't think that the current website is effective at all in
> convincing people that D is indeed a better alternative to scripting
> languages like Python, Ruby or JavaScript, despite it really is.

You talked about how python.org is good, but what is bad on dlang.org?
How does it fail where python.org succeeds, and how do we fix it?