dlang website design

Ecstatic Coder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 23 02:02:30 PDT 2017

> Problem is, low profile programmers aren't the most interesting
> target for D right now. You have to choose your battles and I
> believe that isn't done enough in D marketing. For example we
> have lots of issues promoting the GC because we want to attract
> people that like that kind of memory management and at the same
> time people that don't. So we end up saying "yeah, we have a
> GC, but you can do things without it" and the same question
> comes over and over again "make up your mind, is it possible or
> not to code in D without GC?".
>
> Right now the marketing targets companies and C++ programmers.
> Maybe that's not the way to go but it's the path that was
> choosen until now. To those programmers the message our
> marketing tries to send is "D is a serious, solid language that
> gives you the power to build industry software". It's all about
> being a rock: solid, sturdy, there to stay for years to come.
> Of course on side channels we talk about it being also a good
> scripting language etc, but that's not the main image. An image
> of scripting language is likely to make D loose most of its
> credibility amongst C++ groups (I may be wrong about it but
> it's the impression I get).
>
> What you're proposing is way more than a website modification,
> it's a profound marketting change. Maybe it's the right way to
> go, but if that's what you want you may want to rethink your
> whole approach with the fact that it's not about dlang.org's
> cosmetic anymore.

Ok no problem, I understand your point :)

Indeed the current website conveys quite well the "serious
C++-like language for the software industry" concept.

Unfortunately it's not an easy task to convince people to use D
instead of Java, C#, Go, C++, etc

There are much more risks involved in deciding to adopt a new
language when it's for people's core business.

Same reasons why I'm still using C++ and Go professionally btw,
and I'm sorry for that...