dlang website design

ag0aep6g via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 23 06:43:00 PDT 2017

On 06/23/2017 08:49 AM, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> 1/ it's not especially obvious that D is also an easy to learn scripting
> language.

Ok, I think I understand your goal now.

There's a thing that I'd like to change on the home page, and I think it
aligns with your thoughts: "D is a systems programming language" -> "D
is a general-purpose programming language".

"Systems programming" puts the focus on the low-level side of D, which
may not even be its strong side (yet) if one looks at the recent
-betterC efforts.

"Systems programming" may scare users away who think they're not good
enough for that kind of programming.

"General-purpose programming" is a better fit, in my opinion.

Regarding the examples, I'd prefer very simple ones, too. Hello World,
99 Bottles of Beer -- stuff like that. I think there's the idea that
examples should show some cool feature of D, but I'd say they should
just show how D looks with easy-to-follow code. Maybe have a distinct
page with cooler examples.

So, overall, I think dlang.org could be tweaked to be more directed at
newbie programmers, and I wouldn't mind that. I don't think it would
need a major overhaul of the site; just some tweaks. But personally, I'm
not really interested in the marketing of D, so I'm not going to push
for these things.