D's appeal [was Go 1.9]

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 24 03:54:12 PDT 2017

On Sat, 2017-06-24 at 10:34 +0000, Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-
d wrote:

[…]
> Most programming languages are technically "general purpose", but
> when projects look for tooling they aren't looking for something
> generic, they are looking for a solution to a specific domain.
>
> So, for a language to succeed you need to provide the best
> solution to something specific.

Just at the moment, for me, the reason to use D is it is the best
language for GTK+3 and GStreamer. For this I am prepared to deal with
the poor developer experience. For other tasks I'd use Go, Kotlin,
Groovy, even Rust because they have far better tooling on Linux.

If Kotlin Native gets an equivalent to GtkD, with Kotlin style GTK+3
and GStreamer bindings as opposed to the C use currently supported, It
is going to be a strong candidate for switching away from D to Kotlin.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk