Go 1.9

Ecstatic Coder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 24 04:35:06 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 24 June 2017 at 10:17:16 UTC, Wulfklaue wrote:
> On Saturday, 24 June 2017 at 09:35:56 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>> With all due respect, on the contrary I think that promoting D
>> as a general purpose programming language could be its only
>> chance to really improve its popularity, and thus
>> significantly grow its current user base.
>>
>> I'm sorry to repeat myself once again on this forum, but it's
>> obvious to me that D's strongest feature at the moment is that
>> it has the best syntax on the market.
>
> I personally will not go that far. Syntax is more about
> preference. Rust looks dog ugly to me and yet some people find
> it beautiful.
>
> Personally i find Swift / Kotlin a nicer looking syntax then D.
>
>> Reference types, strings, maps, slices, arrays, UFCS, etc,
>> everything is made so that the most obvious and readable code
>> will work both safely and efficiently.
>>
>> There is absolutely zero syntactic noise, the code is crystal
>> clear.
>>
>> So instead of losing many potential users by focusing on a
>> niche market (unhappy C++ programmers), D should focus on its
>> major strengths, which already now make it stand high above
>> its competition.
>
> Agrees with that. The problem with a language trying to scope
> away a specific group of developers, from a existing ecosystem
> is that your fighting the entire ecosystem, not just the
> language. That is a mistake that many new languages make.
>
> Why switch over from C++ to D?
>
> Language => Sure.
> Tooling => No.
> Libraries => No.
> Editors => No.
>
> That has been the dilemma that not only D has faced. Until you
> get critical mass where people start writing a massive amount
> of your ecosystem, its hard to get people to switch over.
>
>> For instance, all these programmer-friendly features make D
>> even more convenient for scripting than scripting languages
>> themselves.
>
> True but the same can be said about Go. And Go is even more
> friendly and has the ecosystem now. You want to write something
> more exotic. There is big change that somebody wrote a
> module/package in Go. That is not going on with D. Sure, you
> can take a existing c library and transform it into D but it
> still takes work and is not always 100% idiomatic D.
>
> That is the main difference between D and lets say Kotlin.
> Kotlin build on top of Java and you can native imports all the
> libraries. There is less effort involved.
>
> Maybe this was mentioned before but a lot of programmers prefer
> to lazy program. They want to write there code, move forward
> with there project and not spend time on trying to get "things"
> to import/convert/work. D has more people who have no issue
> doing things the "hard" way. I applaud that resolve, i really
> do. But at the same time its a barrier, a attitude that makes
> it hard to accept those lazy people like me :)
>
>> IMHO, trying to compete directly with C++, C# and Java, with
> [...]

I agree with all that you said.

Just about Go, I must say that language is a bit rude, and
actually less convenient and versatile than D.

Many convenient features are missing (true reference classes,
member function polymorphism, generics, etc).

IMHO, Go is lagging somewhere between C and D.

Kotlin is a better contender, especially with is LLVM
implementation.

And with its current ecosystem, I'm sorry to say that indeed
Kotlin native is becoming de factor the best alternative to D.