Go 1.9

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 24 07:33:24 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 24 June 2017 at 12:11:29 UTC, Wulfklaue wrote:
> I never considered that D has a bountysource account. Its way,
> waaaay at the bottom of the monthly listing page. It did not
> even show up until 3 days ago.

It was somewhat active for a while a couple years ago, but I
found it to be simply offensive and a demotivator. They
(including a large corporation that you've heard of having
gigabucks) attached $50 bounties to bugs that would take several
days of work to fix... then, of course, you have to go though the
review process which has an indeterminate wait and frequently
shifts goalposts.

If any other client treated me like that, I'd walk away and never
look back. (Heck, if any other client offered me what amounted to
maybe $5 / hour, I'm not even sure that I'd waste my time
actually telling them no - I might just ignore their emails as
being a bad joke.)

Bountysource has changed since then, and now has the salt
program, but I think I'm not the only one who found it
counterproductive in its early iteration and finds the brand
damaged. If we wanted to revive it, it'd have to be clearly done
differently than it was before.

> Electronic wire transfer or bank check *bwahaaha*. What are we:
> 1980?

That's the way big donors actually prefer do business. Avoids
having x% of their donation go to some for-profit middleman, and
is easier accounting with the IRS. (D, being a legally
incorporated not-for-profit organization, is required by US law
to keep track of its financial information and publish an open
report each year. Also, individuals and businesses donating to it
can list that as a tax-deductible expense on their own annual
returns - provided they have the necessary documentation.)

> There is no focus on raising funds. I talked about D Foundation
> being obscure but this blow my mind.

Perhaps we need a new director of development!