dlang website design

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 24 11:10:54 PDT 2017

On Friday, 23 June 2017 at 18:26:43 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> I'm also in favor that some of your personal developments be
> converted into std libs.

Eh, std libs is where you lose me. I don't mind offering a "just
works" dmd download on my website, with my packaging dmd for some
particular purposes, or on the official site, that includes all
the stuff. But I have no interest in being part of Phobos and
losing control of my projects.

Now, I think Phobos should be open to those things, where the
modules are owned by third parties and just packaged as a
standard library. The phobos devs might fork it or whatever, of
course, but this would be more like a Linux distribution than a
corporate merger - the individual packages in a Linux distro are
still owned by outside parties, and the distro maintainers just
bring them in and might slightly modify them to fit their thing
better.

 From the user side, it looks like a traditional std lib, but from
the developer side, it is more of a bazaar than a cathedral.