dlang website design

Wulfklaue via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 26 04:10:42 PDT 2017

On Monday, 26 June 2017 at 10:13:13 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> Anyone can start a group to work on something. If you want to
> put together a group to improve the IDE situation, come up with
> a plan (we need x, y, and z and here's how we'll do it), make
> an announcement on the forum, and run with it. No need to ask
> for permission, because there's nobody to ask for permission.

I think you hit the nail on that head with that one. There is
nobody to ask permission but the other side of the shoe is also,
there is nobody to push for it.

We can talk about it for ages but very few people have the time
to pick up projects beyond our own. It helps when you are writing
a project and you need a feature/library that D does not have.
And in the end you public that feature/library. And the
feature/library get maintained as long as that project is
relevant to your needs.

This is something that is noticeable in D especially, a lot of
projects are a result from people needing something, they write
it. But the moment they do not need it anymore? There is in a lot
of cases nobody to take over the project for various reasons.

D feels at times too much incomplete. And the above mentioned
point is one of them.

There is no real leadership to push for features. It seems to me,
that Walter and Andrei live in there happy little world, writing
new features into D that they want / find interesting. Nothing
wrong with that. But they are somewhat the official leaders of
D...

Maybe its better if D gets a community leader / director /
communication expert or whatever the titles, who's job is not
pure development ( some knowledge is always a plus ) but to focus
the resources ( by acquiring talent, money, publicity, ... ) in
actually enhancing D its eco system.

All the talk before technically comes down to this. Its not about
simply electing yourself to write a library/feature that D is
missing and that is. That does not work because it temporary
solves one issue but not the global. Anyway, off lunch, back to
the salt mines.