D error messages for function call mismatches

FoxyBrown via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 27 07:29:05 PDT 2017

D's error messaging is terrible in some ways. I am trying to get
some code to work and this is the error:

arsd\stb_truetype.d(1246): Error: function core.stdc.stdlib.qsort
(scope void* base, uint nmemb, uint size, extern (C) int
function(scope const(void*), scope const(void*)) @system compar)
is not callable using argument types (void*, int, uint, extern
(C) int function(const(void*) p, const(void*) q))

Find the bug!

Why can't D just dive a bit further and tell me the actual
parameter(s) that it failing on? It obviously knows this as it
has to check each one to know if there is an error. It should
make it clear so I don't have to hunt and peck for the error.
These lines don't always get wrapped in all cases so it is a
scrollfest trying to find it.

Do the lead programmers for D use Visual D? Or do they use a
specific tool chain that exhibits a specific behavior that they
assume translates in to every other case?