Let's paint those bikesheds^Werror messages!

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 27 10:11:32 PDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 02:32:28PM +0000, Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> As has been announced, DMD now has colorized syntax highlighting in
> error messages:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/of9oao$230j$1@digitalmars.com
>
> With 2.075's release near, now would be a good time to decide on a
> nice color palette that looks fine on most terminals. So, please vote:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6943
>
> Obligatory:
> - Yes, not everyone likes colors. You can turn all colors off with a
> command-line switch.
> - Yes, everyone agrees that having all colors be configurable would be
> good.  We still need defaults that are going to look OK on most
> terminals.
> - Yes, no matter what colors we choose, they're going to look bad on
> some terminal somewhere. Let's worry about the major platforms' most
> common terminals for now.

The cardinal rule of color selection: NEVER only set the foreground
color or the background color alone. ALWAYS set both, otherwise you will
get invisible text (or barely-visible text, like yellow on white) on
somebody's terminal, and they will be very, very angry.

Marketing: the art of convincing people to pay for what they didn't need before which you fail to deliver after.