Let's paint those bikesheds^Werror messages!

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 27 10:45:31 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 27 June 2017 at 17:28:42 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I've seen complaints from people who have black-on-white
> terminals (or vice versa) finding some programs producing
> unreadable text because the program set the foreground color to
> black without also setting the background.  Of course, it's
> rare that programs would explicitly set black or white
> foreground, but I happen to use a light green background for my
> terminals and so a green foreground, for example, would be
> pretty unreadable for me.

Unless the program is a full-screen application, setting the
background color is the wrong solution. It will just make the
terminal look like a zebra, alternating contrast every time the
program's output starts and ends. I.e.: awful, which is why
nobody does this.

> The point is that you can't predict what the default background
> color is set to, so unless you set both, there will always be
> some case where it looks bad or is outright unreadable.

This is why the screenshots I generated include both
dark-on-light and light-on-dark terminals. It is not impossible
to choose a color set that will look okay on both.