Let's paint those bikesheds^Werror messages!

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 27 13:19:14 PDT 2017

Am 27.06.2017 um 16:32 schrieb Vladimir Panteleev:
> As has been announced, DMD now has colorized syntax highlighting in
> error messages:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/of9oao$230j$1@digitalmars.com
>
> With 2.075's release near, now would be a good time to decide on a nice
> color palette that looks fine on most terminals. So, please vote:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6943
>
> Obligatory:
> - Yes, not everyone likes colors. You can turn all colors off with a
> command-line switch.
> - Yes, everyone agrees that having all colors be configurable would be
> good. We still need defaults that are going to look OK on most terminals.
> - Yes, no matter what colors we choose, they're going to look bad on
> some terminal somewhere. Let's worry about the major platforms' most
> common terminals for now.

I would argue pretty strongly that this should be toned down as much as
possible. All example schemes in the PR so far don't seem to add any
real readability value overall.

Spontaneously I'd suggest something like highlighting just keywords and
punctuation with a single different color and making the keywords also
bold. That would give the code snippets some structure, without letting
them fight for attention with error/warning colors or other code snippets.

Using a uniform dark gray background color for code could then solve two
issues: visually separating text from code and avoiding the problem with
differently configured default colors in the terminal.