Let's paint those bikesheds^Werror messages!

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 27 15:34:39 PDT 2017

Am 28.06.2017 um 00:19 schrieb Vladimir Panteleev:
> On Tuesday, 27 June 2017 at 22:12:42 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>> [...]
>
> (snip - as it boils down to needing a concrete proposal)

I was specifically trying to steer away from a random
propose-and-comment approach, because I think we can do a lot better if
we first reduce the size of the design space using objective measures.
If we can agree to some extent that this makes sense, I can give it a go
and propose something concrete, too.

>> But it seems like the solution for that is to use saturated colors for
>> everything. There are also some examples that clearly don't work on a
>> white background, such as using cyan. Or examples in a black
>> background, such as using saturated blue.
>
> As I've already mentioned, even the "dark" colors look very bright on
> Terminal.app. I think the program's defaults are simply bad. Within
> these constraints, I think it should be at least not unusable.

If the default goes from well readable but not highlighted to barely
readable in parts, then that would IMO be a pretty big failure. The
minimum goal should be to not make things worse overall on any of the
most common setups.

>> If we really want to reduce this to a pure question of favorite color
>> themes, I'd propose to just take either Monokai or the Material UI
>> theme. In various places those seem to come up as the two most popular
>> themes, so using those is likely to be quite representative:
>> https://atom.io/themes/list?direction=desc&sort=stars
>
> Um, I don't think that's possible.
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/dtlzlemqzfyozlekskdr@forum.dlang.org

The question is how many users are actually ruled out by this.
Benefiting a large number of people at the expense of a few is a
reasonable approach in this case.