Let's paint those bikesheds^Werror messages!

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 27 15:44:37 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 27 June 2017 at 22:34:39 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
> I was specifically trying to steer away from a random
> propose-and-comment approach, because I think we can do a lot
> better if we first reduce the size of the design space using
> objective measures. If we can agree to some extent that this
> makes sense, I can give it a go and propose something concrete,
> too.

Please do. I think your rules make sense, but it's difficult to
judge them without trying the task and finding out how well each
can be satisfied without making the task impossible.

> If the default goes from well readable but not highlighted to
> barely readable in parts, then that would IMO be a pretty big
> failure. The minimum goal should be to not make things worse
> overall on any of the most common setups.

That's a good point. Unfortunately, that leaves very few options.
If we are to stick to the tenets, we would need to remove nearly
all use of color, even from the "Error" and especially "Warning"
labels, as those are close to unreadable there.

>> Um, I don't think that's possible.
>> http://forum.dlang.org/post/dtlzlemqzfyozlekskdr@forum.dlang.org
>
> The question is how many users are actually ruled out by this.
> Benefiting a large number of people at the expense of a few is
> a reasonable approach in this case.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by this.