Always false float comparisons

Ecstatic Coder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 29 22:21:51 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 29 June 2017 at 19:12:24 UTC, ag0aep6g wrote:
> On Thursday, 29 June 2017 at 18:03:39 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>> I often do code like "x < array.length" where x needs to be a
>> long to be able to handle negative values.
>>
>> I want my code to compile without warning, and therefore I'm
>> against requiring "x < array.length.to!long()" to remove that
>> warning.
>
> `x < array.length` and `x < array.length.to!long` have
> different results when x is negative. That's why a
> warning/error is in order.

I often have array indices that go up and down (x++/x--)
depending on the logic.

I find convenient to be able to test them (x >= 0, x < a.length)
without having to manage the fact that the array stores its
length as an unsigned integer to double its potential size, since
anyway I never use arrays with 2^63 items.