Documentation licence

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 30 15:06:50 PDT 2017

On Friday, 30 June 2017 at 11:14:32 UTC, ANtlord wrote:
> On Friday, 30 June 2017 at 10:24:34 UTC, tetyys wrote:
>> On Friday, 30 June 2017 at 10:10:14 UTC, ANtlord wrote:
>>> Hello! I use service devdocs.io for some technologies. And I
>>> think that I able to add D to this service. I've read the
>>> project's wiki
>>> (https://github.com/Thibaut/devdocs/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md) and see the next:
>>>
>>> Important: the documentation's license must permit
>>> alteration, redistribution and commercial use, and the
>>> documented software must be released under an open source
>>> license.
>>>
>>> Due to this I get the question. Do the licence of D's
>>> documentaion and the licence of D allow to add the D's
>>> library documentation to devdocs.io?
>>>
>>> Thanks. Sorry if my english is not clear.
>>
>> Well as phobos source code comments is the documentation for
>> standard library and it's licensed under Boost license
>> (https://github.com/dlang/phobos/blob/master/LICENSE_1_0.txt),
>> I think yes.
>
> Ok. Also I see it on the page
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_and_open-source_software_licenses
>
> I hope it will not block me to contribute D's docs. Thanks a
> lot!

The Boost license is actually quite readable by humans (see
below).

Please let us know if you run into any problems with the
integration. Devdocs integration is on our radar [1], but time is
inherently limited :/
-> thanks a lot for pushing this and we are more than happy to
help if you run into troubles.

[1] https://trello.com/c/kbB0yIdE/112-devdocsio-integration

---

Boost Software License - Version 1.0 - August 17th, 2003

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person or
organization
obtaining a copy of the software and accompanying documentation
covered by
this license (the "Software") to use, reproduce, display,
distribute,
execute, and transmit the Software, and to prepare derivative
works of the
Software, and to permit third-parties to whom the Software is
furnished to
do so, all subject to the following:

The copyright notices in the Software and this entire statement,
including
the above license grant, this restriction and the following
disclaimer,
must be included in all copies of the Software, in whole or in
part, and
all derivative works of the Software, unless such copies or
derivative
works are solely in the form of machine-executable object code
generated by
a source language processor.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN
NO EVENT
SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OR ANYONE DISTRIBUTING THE SOFTWARE
BE LIABLE
FOR ANY DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT OR
OTHERWISE,
ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE
USE OR OTHER
DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.