WebAssembly design is done?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 1 01:28:40 PST 2017

On Wednesday, 1 March 2017 at 08:56:37 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> On 03/01/2017 03:47 AM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 1 March 2017 at 08:01:41 UTC, Saurabh Das wrote:
>>> I'm not so up-to-date about the mechanics of WebAssembly, but
>>> it would
>>> be pretty exciting to run D code in the browser.
>>>
>>> Is this now possible or have I completely misunderstood what
>>> WebAssembly allows for?
>>
>> It should be possible, at least if you give up on the garbage
>> collector.
>>

> Huh? Isn't webasm GC'ed? Ir is it like a D-vs-wasm CG
> incompatibility?

Nope, no GC. It is a "minimum viable product", so also no
threading or SIMD. This is a good strategy, make sure that all
implementations are fully compliant and collect experience before
adding more features into the mix.

http://webassembly.org/docs/gc/

I believe both Rust  and C++ compilers will target WebAssembly.
In the beginning I suspect the best approach is to the core
application in a set of WebAssembly modules and tie it together
with the UI in JavaScript/TypeScript/JSX/Angular2 etc