Why don't you advertise more your language on Quora etc ?

Jared Jeffries via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 2 00:43:08 PST 2017

> There's a reason stackoverflow and
> softwareengineering.stackexchange delete these kinds of
> questions: they're counter productive and can't actually be
> answered.
>
> The question "Which is the best programming language to learn
> in 2017" is one such question. It comes down strictly to
> opinion and circumstance. Because of this, the "answers" are
> either answering a different question or just ads for the
> user's favorite language. It seems most of the top answers in
> that thread took the question to mean "Which language would be
> most likely to get me a job in 2017", which isn't the same.
>
> Programming questions on Quora are the dumping ground for bad
> SO questions.
>
> Most D power users spend their time either on the IRC or on SO.

I agree with you, the question is vague, etc.

But my point is : this is exactly the kind of question beginners
like me use to git this advice on which language they should
learn.

I did some research with google with the keywords "best
programming language to learn", which lead me to what people say
on Quora and similar websites.

Nothing fancy. And I didn't ask a more specific question myself,
I wouldn't probably have read anything about D, which is sad.

D is great for students, so my advice is to stop advertising D so
much for power users, and promoting it more as the best language
out there to learn object oriented programming, before digging
into Java, C++, Javascript etc.

Because that's where D is strong : it regroups all their features
(reference types like in Java/C#/Javascript, native
array/maps/slices/foreach like in Javascript,
structs/pointers/templates like in C++), while keeping almost the
same syntax.

I've personally ported my little experiment programs from D to
Java, C#, C++ and even Javascript with incredible ease.

I'm very impressed how D's syntax and native features make it
actually a common denominator to all these languages.

That's really where it is stronger than any other programming
language on earth : it's the simple, pragmatic and efficient
synthesis of the current mainstream languages.