Why don't you advertise more your language on Quora etc ?

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 2 07:32:26 PST 2017

On Thursday, 2 March 2017 at 11:10:54 UTC, Martin Tschierschke
wrote:
> I started to learn programming (BASIC) with an traditional home
> computer in the 80's
> (Schneider/Amstrad CPC6128).
>
> The best thing was, you only needed to switch it on and only
> with typing "DRAW 640,400" a line was drawn from the bottom
> left to the top right corner.
>
> Now give someone a new computer and ask him to do the same?
> How many years of computer experience will be needed?
> How many tool would I need to install?

I too learned to program using BASIC sometime in the mid-80's.
The "enterprise" side of things has created a completely
unnecessary learning curve. Java being used to teach intro to
computing was successful at exactly one thing - it drove people
away from programming.

I spend my days working with graduate students in economics
departments. They have to program for their research, but most of
them have never taken a programming class. I use RStudio server.
Students need only a browser to do fairly complicated analyses.
Once you eliminate the startup costs, it's amazing how easy it is
for them to learn.

Do we have such a thing with D? Unfortunately we are moving in
the wrong direction. New users are told to write configuration
files for Hello World.