D street cred: Just a thought

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 3 23:29:57 PST 2017

On Saturday, 4 March 2017 at 07:09:17 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> Just a thought for boosting D's street cred:
>
> Perhaps...take a worthwhile C/C++ project with real potential,
> fork it, and port it to D. And make a real commitment to
> maintaining it. Obviously a bit of a gambit, granted, but the
> potential payout is improving a worthwhile tool's
> maintainability while showing off a real-world example of the
> benefits and practical worthiness of switching to D.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> In a similar vein, I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed with
> what I've learned of Mir. AIUI, aside from being a fantastic
> lib, it looks like a tool with very high widespread potential
> that's written in D, yet also targets, more or less, C/C++
> users in addition to D users. A tactic I've definitely been in
> favor of[1] and would love to see pushed as far as it can go.
>
> Rah rah, D, sys boom bah, insert mental image here of me
> <https://avatars1.githubusercontent.com/u/714873?v=3&s=460>
> with pom-poms ;)
>
> [1]
> https://semitwist.com/articles/article/view/we-re-overlooking-a-key-part-of-c-c-d-user-migration

I recently ported this small C++/OpenGL ES 2.0 Android app to D,
just finished fixing the last bug I know of:

https://developer.android.com/ndk/samples/sample_teapot.html
https://github.com/googlesamples/android-ndk/tree/master/teapots/classic-teapot/src/main

I need to clean up the source now and commit it to the app
samples section in my Android repo:

https://github.com/joakim-noah/android/tree/master/samples

All the apps there are tiny ports from the C samples for the
Android NDK.

Obviously not a bigger project like you had in mind, but just
thought I'd mention this one.