[OT] Re: Why don't you advertise more your language on Quora etc ?

Rico Decho via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 4 01:06:52 PST 2017

> That's a curious statement, because I was trained mainly as a
> C/C++ programmer, and still use them for my job every day. I
> was very well-versed in the intricacies of C, and somewhat C++,
> yet I was very unhappy with them.  For several years I would
> scour the net during my free time to look for a better
> language.  I wasn't very impressed with D the first time I saw
> it, for various reasons, and it wasn't until I found a copy of
> TDPL in a local bookstore and decided on a whim to buy it, that
> I really got started with D.  And the rest, as they say, is
> history. :D
>
> Even though I suspect that I'm in the minority here, I'm pretty
> sure there's got to be others out there in C/C++ land who are
> like me, longing for a better language but just haven't found a
> suitable candidate yet.  So don't discount us C/C++ veteran
> folk just yet!

My programming language at work remains C++ too, therefore I
agree that D's clean syntax is very attractive to C++ developers.

Java and C# are also "post-C++" languages, and thus their syntax
is closer to D (imports, reference types, etc). D's clean and
powerful syntax may not be as attractive to them.

Unfortunately C++ developers generally have to use this language
in cases where garbage collected languages like Java and C#
wouldn't be used.

So D's garbage collector may be a problem to convince most C++
professional developers, and D may not seem enough of an
improvement for most Java/C# professional developers.

But as it can teach both the C++ and the Java/C# way of
programming, as it's syntax has remained close to all of them, D
can indeed be "sold" as the best first OO programming language.

Learning C++, Java or C# afterwards is quite easy.

And once you have tried D, you probably will continue to use it
and promote it, like I do.