[OT] Re: Why don't you advertise more your language on Quora etc ?

Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 4 01:12:31 PST 2017

On Friday, 3 March 2017 at 19:49:06 UTC, Jared Jeffries wrote:

> I think that the programming tutorial using D as the first
> programming language is what is really need, and fortunately I
> see that now it's on his way.

Ali Çehreli's book is really good in that regard. he explains
programming from ground up (i.e. explans bits and bytes and what
variable means etc.) in a very straightforward and clever way.
It's one of the best programming intro I've seen regardless of
the used language. That it uses D is the icing of the cake and as
you said, learning D allows to know the concepts used in C, C++,
Java and C#.

> What D needs too is probably more "fame" on the beginners
> forums.

Indeed.

> How can people start learning a language, if they don't even
> know it exists, and perfectly fulfill their needs ?
>
> To be well known, D just need that people talk about it more
> for beginners.
>
> D is not *just* a language for meta-programming experts and
> execution speed addicts.
>
> IMHO, it's also both the *simplest & complete* alternative to
> C++, Java and C# out there for people learning OO programming.
>
> That must be said on every forum, at each occasion.
>
> Stop trying to convince only the expert programmers, most of
> them are probably not interested in leaving their C++, Java or
> C# language and IDE for D...

Besides the personal preferences, there are real business and
technical constraints that make it difficult to change for the
"experts". In my work, for instance (big government like
institution), there is official IT policy that projects have to
be written in Java for Weblogic application servers using Oracle
as databases. So if you want support from the IT department, you
better use what they offer in their catalogue. I have the luck of
working on a legacy project (started in 1993), not very visible
but central to the whole business of
our directorate, which means that we can force a little bit the
hand of the IT department, so that they have to support our
historical constraints (the project is a mix of C (99), Oracle
Pro*C, perl 5, bash and a java frontend). Now I'm trying to
introduce a little bit of D but that will only be possible when
we have definitely moved from Solaris/SPARC to Linux/x86_64.
TL;DR
Difficult to introduce D when the project runs on Solaris/SPARC
and interfaces with Oracle DB.