Why don't you advertise more your language on Quora etc ?

Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 4 01:29:53 PST 2017

On Friday, 3 March 2017 at 18:45:50 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> On 03/03/2017 10:40 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> IDEs, vastly more supportive, useful software development
>> functionality
>> than editors, especially for debugging, yes.
>>

>> It's that last one, the one about getting working software
>> developed
>> faster, that is the one that has moved me away from Emacs to
>> IDEs. But
>
> Perhaps ironically, I used to be big on IDE's (back before the
> bloat). But between the bloat that started happening to them
> about 10+ years ago, and various factors that led me to (oddly
> enough) actually prefer printf debugging, I switched to more
> basic editors with the whole "Linux is my IDE" setup.
>
>> everyone to their own, there is no universal truth in this
>> arena.
>>

> Definitely true.
>
> But I do really wish though, that the IDE devs would start
> prioritizing efficiency, UI snappiness, and startup time. Yea,
> those toold do more, but they don't do THAT much more that
> would technologically necessitate THAT much of a performance
> discrepancy. (The plain-old-editors are far more capable than I
> think IDE users seem to beleive).

The thing that annoys me with IDE's is generally not the IDE
itself, or even their heaviness. The main problem I encounter
with them is that they often end up being tied with the project
itself, which means that if you want to build or modify an exist
project, you have to install the same IDE as the original
developer used. On open source projects it doesn't happen too
often, but at work it happens all the time. The java jockeys use
eclipse with a lot extensions, it take a day alone to install
that shit (and be careful some of them work only on 32 bit
eclipse while other require 64 bit eclipse). The frontend guys,
use another java environment. The desktop apps of our project
used and Visual Studio . The thing is, the old version of our
app, which requires still support until it is replaced by a new
one app, doesn't compile under a recent Visual Studio.

TL;DR
The big issue with IDE's is that they become part of the projects
themselves.