Deterministic Memory Management With Standard Library Progress

Anthony via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 4 10:09:10 PST 2017

I've been having difficulty finding an up-to-date answer to this
question, so I figured I'd ask the forum: can deterministic
memory management be done in D, without losing any main features?
I ask this because I know it's technically possible, but the
methods that are suggested in the answers I've read always
suggest the avoidance of most of the standard library. I know
that there is an effort to reverse the reliance on the GC, but I
don't know how far that's gotten in the last six months. Would
anyone be able to give me more information?

To give context to my question, I don't have a problem with GCs,
and this question isn't stemming from a C++ background. I've been
told to learn C++ though, due to its efficiency and power.

It feels like D is a better choice for me to learn than C++; it's
ostensibly C++ but with various amounts of baggage or unfavorable
quirks removed. But I'm wary to learn if one of the major
proponents for C++ usage, deterministic memory management, isn't
directly supported. I check back here every few months or so, but
now I just can't find anything new.