A few notes on the ddox-based documentation

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 4 19:14:14 PST 2017

On Sunday, 5 March 2017 at 01:47:24 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> * For some reason tables have the wrong penalties set up
> because they hyphenate type names in their left column (e.g.
> Pro-erCom-pare) which makes all tables look comically bad.

I see what happened here too: ddox detected "Abort" to be an
in-scope name and tried to wrap it in a `<a href...>` link tag...
but it was already a link thanks to the `$(LREF)` macro.

So it illegally nested a link inside a link, which the browser
interpreted as two adjacent links... and both got that
padding-right from the rule I quoted in my last email, thus
getting some blank space on the first row.

Fixing the css bug would help the appearance, but ddox should
ideally detect if the word is already a link, and not link it
again. (My generator does this, but it also works as a
context-aware DOM instead of a string macro substitution engine
so it was very easy for me. I doubt it will be quite as easy a
fix in ddox.)

> * The second table not only hyphenates its left column
> awkardly, but also overlays onOverflow on top of text in the
> next column.

The hyphenation is a major disaster, I'd remove that entirely and
let the table reflow itself naturally. The left column shouldn't
be broken up into lines at all, that kills the readability, and
there's plenty of space for it to simply expand to fit the
contents.

IIRC, ddox does it because dlang.org used to do it with dog-slow
javascript, but really it just shouldn't be done at all.