Deterministic Memory Management With Standard Library Progress

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 5 00:32:17 PST 2017

On Saturday, 4 March 2017 at 18:09:10 UTC, Anthony wrote:
> To give context to my question, I don't have a problem with
> GCs, and this question isn't stemming from a C++ background.
> I've been told to learn C++ though, due to its efficiency and
> power.

I think you should start with "What kind of programs do I want to
write?" rather than what language to choose. Then pick the best
language for that domain.

But if you want to learn C++, then starting with the basic C
subset and add feature by feature from C++ is the best
alternative. If learning C++ is your goal then you need to get to
terms with well thought out memory management strategies.

Of the non-C++ languages that could give you some structure Rust
is possibly one that could give you some training, as the Rust
compiler enforce what you should try to achieve in C++ with
unique_ptr (roughly the same memory model in principle).

Also, there are many variants of C++ (C++17/C++11, C++03,
C++98...) which leads to very different programming idioms.

It takes many years to become proficient in C++. I would estimate
that it will take 1-2 years from someone already proficient in
C++98 to become proficient in C++17.