[OT] Re: Why don't you advertise more your language on Quora etc ?

Rico Decho via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 5 21:50:01 PST 2017

> It's actually rather rare to *need* to avoid the GC -- only
> niche applications need that, like if you're writing a game
> engine that has to avoid stop-the-world pauses (which can be
> easily worked around, btw), or real-time medical applications
> where if it stops for 10ms somebody dies. 90% of real world
> programs out there work just fine with the GC.

Actually it's my case. I'd LOVE to use D for game development for
instance, but I won't take the risk of having the GC pause the
game when I don't want to, even for just an unknown amount of
milliseconds, and even if I know that anyway I'll try to limit
dynamic allocations by using caches etc.

Of course, for everything else (scripts, tools, servers, etc),
now I use D and I'm glad with it. Because for that same scripts
and applications, I could have used any other garbage collected
language (JavaScript/, C#, etc), so no problem for that.

And that's my point.

D is probably the best alternative to C++, Java, C# and Node.js.
Better than Rust too.

But for D to succeed as a viable alternative to C++ where it's
mandatory to use it, it must have a minimalistic version of
Phobos that makes it easy and natural to use D with manual memory
management.

Maybe it's already the case, but then I suggest that you should
promote it louder, so that people don't even feel the need to try
Rust for instance.