[OT] Re: Why don't you advertise more your language on Quora etc ?

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 7 08:26:20 PST 2017

On Mon, 2017-03-06 at 10:22 -0800, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> Nevertheless, it's certainly true that D's GC could use a major
> upgrade
> at some point.  While it's not horrible, the present implementation
> does
> leave more to be desired.  Hopefully the various efforts at GC by
> forum
> members will at some point turn into some major improvements to D's
> GC.
> There was talk a year or two ago about a precise for D (with fallback
> conservative GC for cases where that wouldn't work), but I'm not sure
> what has come of it.
[…]

Learn the lesson from Java. It started with a truly crap GC and
everyone said Java is crap because the GC is garbage. D has seemingly
actually progressed beyond this stage technically but not marketing
wise. The Java folk worked on the GC and kept replacing it over and
over again. The GC got better and better. Now with the G1 GC almost all
the problem have gone away – as has most of the moaning about Java
having a crap GC. Most people never notice the GC and those that do,
engineer it rather than moaning. The Java GC situation is now a
sophisticated one where those who don't really care do not have a
problem and those that do care have the tools to deal with it.

D seems to be in a situation where those who don't care have a crap GC
which needs to be improved and those who do care have the tools to deal
with it. So there needs to be ongoing replacement of the D GC until
there is something good, this is a technical problem. That people who
care about the effect of GC still think D is a crap GC-based language
implies there is a marketing problem, not a technical one.

We all know that many, many people see the word garbage collector and
run a mile in an uneducated prejudiced way. Who cares about them. We
care about the people who are willing to try stuff out and have a
problem.

</rant>

--
Russel.