Of the use of unpredictableSeed

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 7 12:15:56 PST 2017

On 03/07/2017 05:18 AM, Seb wrote:

> As apparently no one here hasn't mentioned this, Linux >= 3.17 has a
> dedicated syscall API. Please see:
>
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/getrandom.2.html
>
> And this excellent introductory article:
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/605828

Ooh, that's great to know! (Kinda sad that it seems necessary, given the
"unix filesystem and unix design" ideals, but oh well, realities are
realities.)

Is there a "proper" way to check for this function's existence on a
local machine, other than test-compiling, or is parsing 'uname -a' as
"right way" as it gets?

And anyone know about OSX? Would OSX use the getentropy the article you
linked to mentions for OpenBSD? Or something else? Or just fallback to
/dev/(u)random?

This really deserves a Phobos PR, IMO, FWIW. Maybe I'll try my hand at
it if any OSX folk have tips for that OS.