[OT] Why don't you advertise more your language on Quora etc ?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 7 13:38:47 PST 2017

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 10:41:06PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> Yes, this. Although, granted, the OO-koolaid *was* quite strong indeed
> in those days.
>
> It really is strange to look back on all that, when I was fairly sold
> on OO too (just not quite as fanatically so), and compare to now:
>
> At this point I feel that class-based polymorphism mostly just turned
> out to be an awkward work-around for the lack of first-class functions
> and closures in mainstream languages. What convinced me: After years
> of using D, I find myself using OO less and less (OO polymorphism
> nearly never, aside from exception hierarchies), and instead of
> feeling hamstringed I feel liberated - and I'm normally a kitchen-sink
> kinda guy!

I was never fully "sold" to the OO bandwagon, though I did appreciate
the different way of looking at a programming problem.  While I found OO
to be a nice way of structuring a program that deals with
highly-structured data (it was like abstract data types on steroids), I
never really understood the folks who see it as the be-all and end-all
and want to essentially recast all of computer science in OO terms.

Like you, after coming to terms with D's duck-typing range idioms I've
started moving away from OO and leaning more in the direction of generic
programming via templates. These days I even prefer static polymorphism
via structs and alias this, than full-out classes.  Of course, classes
still do have their place when runtime polymorphism is needed, and I do
use that at times. But it occupies a far smaller percentage of my code
than the OO advocates would rally for.

Do not reason with the unreasonable; you lose by definition.