Phobos and LTO

kinke via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 7 14:38:33 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 7 March 2017 at 18:46:15 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 March 2017 at 18:42:40 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
>>
>> It works on OS X too.
>> And OS X is the only platform for which we package the LTO
>> linker binaries in the release.
>
> Has anybody tried LLD on Windows for D already?
> https://lld.llvm.org/windows_support.html
>
> If LLD works (or another linker that can use the LLVM plugin),
> then LTO is also available on Windows.
>
> -Johan

Yep, I gave LLD 3.9 a try on Win64 some weeks ago. Works out of
the box as drop-in replacement for Microsoft's link.exe, incl.
usage of environment variables. What's apparently still lacking
is debuginfos (.pdb) generation, so our CDB debugging tests
failed (all others worked IIRC).
LLD is supposed to be significantly faster than Microsoft's
linker; I haven't done any measurements yet. Besides offering
nice stuff like LTO, integrating LLD should allow LDC to directly
cross-compile *and* cross-link. So you'll only need the target
system libs to produce objects, libraries and executables for
'any' target. Which is pretty awesome.