Clarification on D.

dewitt via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 9 07:54:04 PST 2017

On Thursday, 9 March 2017 at 13:36:28 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 March 2017 at 12:27:30 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
> wrote:
>> The competition is clever enough to emphasize that D is 14
>> years old and has a GC, so they don't even try it.
>
> The competition doesn't smack talk D, I think. If they mention
> D they tend to do so in  a friendly way. It's not like  D is
> threat to them anyway.
>
> Past or current D users might complain though.

I don't think the community should think in terms of "threat" or
"competition" I mean languages are basically tools to get a job
done.  Most developers are 9-5 types and wont leave their comfort
zone anyways unless they have to.  I agree that I rarely see
other forums talking bad about D and if something is negative
it's usually a persons opinion on x or y not really disparaging.

Also, not everyone is anti-GC that might be interested in using D
anyways.  You pick the right tool for the job and if you look at
the JVM lots of apps/libs have been written on it that run fast
and are widely used.

Don't worry bout the rest and focus on improving the D ecosystem.
  I like it but sometimes you hit that wall where something
doesn't work or isnt implemented in the ecosystem (I know ppl can
contribute and write it) but sometimes you want to just get
something done and not have to worry about some lib is missing a
needed feature or not even there.  I've been messing with dotnet
core lately and I know there is a much larger community but the
libs are constantly getting released to support it and for web
stuff it is pretty efficient.

Bottomline is D with all the little issues here and there is
doing fine.  Dont worry about the others.  Also how many times a
week can the same questions be asked on this forum about the same
topics?  I feel I am re-reading the same stuff weekly