Clarification on D.

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 9 08:38:29 PST 2017

On Thursday, 9 March 2017 at 15:54:04 UTC, dewitt wrote:
> I don't think the community should think in terms of "threat"
> or "competition" I mean languages are basically tools to get a
> job done.

Yeah, and that is a trend that is increasing as the cost of
developing new languages are falling. No single tool for
everything.

However, the tendency in the smaller programming communities is
to smack-talk the big leaders: Java, C++, JavaScript... If you go
to a JavaScript forum they hardly talk about other languages at
all.

Now, I have seen some people on reddit saying things like "Forget
about D, D is a dead language". However, that doesn't speak to
age. C++ is 30 years old. It speaks to no perceiving a clear
project vision: language X is _the_ language to do _Y_.

As you said, languages are tools to get a task done. I'm
currently looking for languages that don't require a runtime and
can generate WebAssembly so that I can create WebWorkers that are
efficient. Anyone language doing best in that category will be
perceived as having a clear vision...

I don't people will perceive a clear vision until you are seen as
targeting something specific.