Rename 'D' to 'D++'

Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 11 04:59:15 PST 2017

On Saturday, 11 March 2017 at 10:32:02 UTC, meppl wrote:
> On Friday, 10 March 2017 at 11:25:11 UTC, Traktor TOni wrote:
>> I think the name is just misleading, the D developers should
>> at least be honest with themselves.
>
> look here:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(programming_language)#History
>
> so, once upon a day there was _A_ssembler. then a language of
> the name "B" was created. later a successor language was
> created - called "C".
>
> it happened that someone was not satisfied with "C", but didnt
> really want to abandon "C". thats why he created a superset of
> "C" and called it "C++".  a "C" with more capabilities.  (thats
> probably not 100% true, but still pretty much the meaning of
> the name).
>
> another person was not satisfied and created another successor.
> "D" was born. "D" abandoned compatibility with "C" - more than
> "C++" did. also, "D" is ment to be a successor of C/C++. but
> "D" is not a (C++)++ or C+2, also not a C++, because its not a
> superset, since it breaks compatibility to the predecessors
>
> in that context, i think the name is _not misleading_:  A B C
> C++ _D_

Yeah, we could say that D is an alias of ++C. i.e. the result of
the increment. As C++ is the operation of incrementing but
returning the old value. The day they will have achieved their
incrementation they will realise that they now have reached where
D is already ;-)

Don't take that too seriously, these dick wagging posts are
generally not very productive and indeed can paint people in a
unpleasant way.