ranges of characters and the overabundance of traits that go with them

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 16 11:04:24 PDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 07:53:14PM +0200, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 3/16/17 9:44 AM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > I completely agree that we should try and make the template
> > constraints on public functions in Phobos - and other libraries be
> > simple - and try and restrict a lot of the more complicated stuff to
> > internals.
>
> Acta, non verba!
>
> We all are in violent agreement about this, yet there continues to be
> prolific discussion about it. Directing that energy toward simple,
> almost mechanical pull requests that merge unnecessary overloads would
> work wonders. -- Andrei

I agree that we should take action here. There has been some, e.g.:

	https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/5148

But, as I indicated in the discussion there, this may not be as
mechanical as it first appears.  Some amount of judgment has to be made
in deciding what the merged sig constraints ought to look like, and it's
not always obvious.  Where "logical constraints" end and "implementation
details" begin isn't always clear-cut, and opinions may differ as to
where to draw that line.

Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.